Pathfinding and Steering

Posts regarding potential bugs, enhancement requests, and general feedback on use of dyn4j
assofohdz

Pathfinding and Steering

Postby assofohdz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:43 am

Hi

I was wondering if there's any plans to incorporate pathfinding and steering into Dyn4j? I know that lib-gdx has the gdx-ai lib - and was wondering if it's conscious decision to keep it out :)

zoom

Re: Pathfinding and Steering

Postby zoom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:03 am

It seems better to keep the physics separate from other concerns and not bolt everything into the dyn4j-jar.

On the other hand it would be great if all the java libraries could converge on the same set of 2D/3D-primitives. It gets pretty tiresome to convert one vector2d to another librarys vector2d. To bad vecmath never got traction but maybe JOML is an alternative. https://github.com/JOML-CI/JOML

assofohdz

Postby assofohdz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:55 am

I agree on keeping it seperate. I just wondered since all the shapes are already there, maintaining a navmesh wouldn't be too hard. I know it's not by any means easy.

assofohdz

Postby assofohdz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:11 am

I tried having the Body class implement the Steerable interface (from gdx-ai), but since the Vector2 classes are different (between gdx-ai and Dyn4j), the interface overrides clashes because of return types and method names. So I basically have to create a seperate class to bind the Steerable to the Body. Relates to what you said about primitives... Would be easy to implement the interface if the primitives were the same :D

Return to “Bugs, Enhancements, Feedback”